MAURITIUS PREMIUM VISA
Stay in Covid-safe Mauritius under Premium Travel Visa
Mauritius, one of the most beautiful islands in the world, has introduced a Premium Travel Visa, valid for a period of one year, renewable, to welcome esteemed travellers seeking to prolong their feeling of wellness arising from the gorgeous turquoise blue sea with silky sand beaches, tropical lagoons, the lush greens, the warmth and friendliness of locals, all in a COVID-safe destination.
The experience of natural beauty and balanced lifestyle that could only be encountered on a rare holiday has now been made available under the Premium Travel Visa to any non-citizen who intends to stay in Mauritius for a maximum period of one year as a tourist, retiree or a professional willing to come with his/her family and carry out his business or work remotely from Mauritius.
To qualify for the Premium Visa, interested visitors should produce proof of their long stay plans and sufficient travel and health insurance for the initial period of stay while meeting the following criteria:
- the applicants should not enter the Mauritius Labour market;
- the main place of business and source of income and profits should be outside Mauritius;
- documentary evidence to support application such as purpose of visit, accommodation etc.; and
- other basic immigration requirements.
About the Visa
The Premium Visa aims at encouraging foreign nationals to come for a long stay as a tourist, a retiree or a professional willing to come with his/her family and work remotely from Mauritius, in a COVID-safe destination.
It allows a non-citizen to stay in Mauritius for a period of one year with an option to renew.
Who are eligible?
Any person from the list of countries listed below is eligible to apply for a Premium Visa.
Note: Individuals from countries not listed below can still come to Mauritius via a Tourist Visa. They can submit their online application for the Premium Visa during their stay in Mauritius.
Antigua and Barbuda
Democratic Rep. of Congo
Russian Federation (Russia)
Czech Republic (ex Czechoslovakia)
Trinidad & Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Korea (South Republic)
United States of America
Papua New Guinea
St Kitts and Nevis
St Vincent & Grenadines
What is the validity period?
The Premium Visa is valid for a period of one year and is renewable.
A premium visa is required for those who intend to stay in Mauritius for a period exceeding 180 days in a calendar year. For those staying for less than180 days, a tourist visa is granted on arrival to Mauritius.
How do you qualify for a Premium Visa?
An application must be submitted online. The e-visa application may be submitted as from 16 November 2020.
In order to qualify for the Premium Visa, the applicant must have proof of his/her long stay plans and sufficient travel and health insurance for the initial period of stay. The following criteria should also be met :-
Mode of Application
Applying for a Premium Visa is a simple online process.
What do you need to complete the form?
You will need:
- A valid passport
- Copy of air ticket (including reservation for return ticket)
- A passport size photo
- A valid email address
- Pre-booking for accommodation after quarantine period
- Travel and health insurance for the period of stay
- Copy of marriage certificate (for dependent spouse, if any)
- Letter certifying parental consent for dependent child where the child is accompanied by only one parent
- Proof of funds to meet the cost of stay in Mauritius (minimum amount of USD 1500/EUR 1300 per month for each applicant and minimum amount of USD 500/EUR 400 per month for each dependent below 24 years old)
Proof of funds can be in the form of a bank statement/bank attestation or an employment contract for a professional working remotely.
- Ensure that pre-booking for Quarantine accommodation is also made prior to the date of travel.
- Any document of a foreign language shall be accompanied by a certified translation in either English or French language
Wait for validation: Do I receive visa document via email?
Once you have finished completing the form, there is nothing left to do except to check your mailbox. The e-visa will be issued via email.
The Premium Visa application will be processed within 48 hours for applications made from Monday to Friday. Applications submitted during the weekend will be processed on the next working day, i.e. on Monday. Application can be made close to the intended departure date. However, it is recommended that travellers submit an application well in advance of their intended departure date.
Free of charge visa
The Premium Visa is issued free of charge. There is no processing fee applicable.
All passengers under Premium Visa will have to go through the sanitary and health protocols established by the Ministry of Health and Wellness.
All prospective passengers (including children and infants) travelling to Mauritius for the month of November and December 2020 must possess the following documents:
- a certificate of a negative COVID – 19 PCR test administered not more than 7 days prior to the date of boarding at the last point of embarkation.
- a valid air ticket to Mauritius; and
- proof of purchase of a travel package including accommodation, on a full board basis, at a designated hotel for a mandatory 14-day in-room quarantine.
Visit https://booking.mymauritius.travel/ to book quarantine accommodation.
Attention is also drawn to the fact that
- any arriving passenger will have to undergo PCR tests on day of arrival, day 7 and day 14 following arrival: and
- if a PCR test reveals that a person is COVID-19 positive, he/she shall be transferred to a public medical institution for treatment.
Tourist visa for a holiday not exceeding 180 days.
A tourist visa is granted for a short period of leisure travel. Foreign nationals are granted tourist visa for a cumulative period of stay not exceeding 180 days in a calendar year.
I came to Mauritius on a Tourist visa. Can I apply for a Premium Visa?
Yes, you can apply for a Premium Visa during your stay in Mauritius.
Can I apply for an Occupation Permit or Residence Permit if I want to work or live for a longer period in Mauritius?
A foreign national staying in Mauritius under a Premium Visa may apply for an Occupation Permit if he intends to work or invest in Mauritius or a Residence Permit as a retired non-citizen on the following link: https://edbmauritius.org/work-and-live-in-mauritius/ .
Can I acquire a residential property in Mauritius while being under a Premium Visa?
A foreign national may acquire a residential property developed under the Integrated Resort Scheme (IRS), Real Estate Scheme (RES), Property Development Scheme (PDS) or Smart City Scheme (SCS). The foreign national is also allowed to acquire an apartment located in a building of at least ground plus two floors.
Money spent in Mauritius through the use of foreign credit or debit cards would not be liable to tax.
A person becomes a tax resident and therefore is liable to tax in Mauritius if he spends 183 days or more in the country.
Any other questions?
For any other questions or assistance, you may contact EDB office on +230 2033800 or at email@example.com.